1997-04-27 Spin Session: Depeche Mode, Spin Magazine, Westwood One Entertainment
|This recording-related article is a stub. You can help DM Live by .|
Depeche Mode interviewed by Anton Corbijn, likely in early 1997. The interview is described by the radio host to be a "Spin Session" courtesy of Spin Magazine and Westwood One Entertainment, which matches up with this Westwood One promo CD, labelled as being for broadcast the week of April 21, 1997. Interview snippets are interspersed between studio tracks, which have been faded in and out from the audio. The FM radio station "Live 105" in California broadcast this audio, but the exact date is not known.
The tape itself plays quite a bit fast, so the cassette deck's pitch control was used to correct the speed. There isn't a lot of dynamic range, but typical modern radio broadcasts don't tend to have much to begin with. Some small bits of the interview segments are missing due to the recording being paused during commercials.
Songs which were broadcast were album versions of the following songs, except where noted:
- Never Let Me Down Again (Split Mix)
- I Feel You
- Shake The Disease
- Barrel Of A Gun
- Master And Servant
- Personal Jesus (Acoustic)
- The Love Thieves
- It's No Good
- World In My Eyes (mislabeled on the promo CD's cue sheet as "Enjoy The Silence")
- Walking In My Shoes
- World In My Eyes (Mode To Joy)
- Behind The Wheel / Route 66 (Mega-Single Mix)
Many thanks to Dina Marie Robinson for locating the tape and lending it to DM Live to transfer.
- Duration: 19 minutes, 46 seconds
- Lineage: Live 105 FM radio broadcast in California of Depeche Mode: Spin Session (Westwood One Entertainment) -> unknown recording equipment -> master TDK D60 type I cassette tape -> Nakamichi MR-1 professional discrete head cassette deck (playback pitch and azimuth adjusted) -> Mogami 2534 XLR to TRS cables -> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen USB audio interface -> WAV (32/88.2) -> Audacity 3.0.0 (WASAPI audio capture at 32-bit / 88.2kHz, normalization to -0.1dB and any DC offset removed) -> WAV (32/88.2) -> downsampled to FLAC level 8 (16/44) using foobar2000 v1.6.4, FLAC 1.3.3 64-bit, and foobar2000's Resampler (SoX) component v0.8.3 (best quality), dithering enabled -> AAC 192kbps (qaac encoder)
- Taper: Dina Marie Robinson
- Generation: master
- Download ZIP - FLAC 16-bit 44.1KHz - 128MB