containing live recordings, interviews, or demos? Please see Contributing, or e-mail us.
To discuss Depeche Mode with other fans, please consider joining the official Depeche Mode Discord server or independent fan server Discord for the Masses.
To coordinate site work, we recommend the Depeche Mode Live Editor Discord group.
1981-08-05 Rafters, Manchester, England, UK/Source 1
An excellent audience recording. Television Set is missing the beginning, and Tora! Tora! Tora! is missing the beginning due to tape flip. There's moderate hiss and a bit of distorted bass. This recording is better quality than prior versions, probably because it's sourced from a low-generation cassette copy. This version also includes 5 minutes and 38 seconds of post-show audio, including the support act "Ludus" looking for a bass player in the crowd. Unfortunately, this is a lossy recording, but Opus 128kbps is a modern encoder and does well even at a lower bitrate. Due to the quality increase compared to all prior versions, DM Live considers this a definitive upgrade, despite being lossy encoded.
Thanks to dmplus for transferring and sharing this recording. I've included his YouTube description as the "original info" text file.
The previous lossless source remains as Source 2.
You can listen to this entire recording below.
- [3:08] Play Television Set
- [2:39] Play Boys Say Go!
- [4:41] Play New Life
- [3:33] Play Puppets
- [3:56] Play Ice Machine
- [4:26] Play Big Muff
- [3:50] Play Just Can't Get Enough
- [2:49] Play What's Your Name?
- [3:06] Play Tora! Tora! Tora!
- [4:55] Play Photographic
- [5:14] Play The Price Of Love
- [3:34] Play Dreaming Of Me
- [5:38] Play Postshow
- Total time: 51:28
- TDK D60 (1982-1984 Euro stock) cassette obtained in Camden Market in mid 1990s -> Pioneer T-WD5R cassette deck -> Sony PCM-D50 -> WAV -> Final Cut Pro (normalize, volume boost, EQ) -> YouTube -> YouTubeDL (capture "best audio" which is Opus 128kbps 48khz) -> MKVToolNix (split into tracks without any re-encoding) -> MKVExtract (extract Opus from MKA files)
- Taper: unknown
- Transfer: dmplus
- Codec: Opus 128kbps 48khz
- Download ZIP - Opus 128kbps 48khz - 46.5MB