Delta Machine demos
Demos of thirteen songs, along with studio outtakes or "rough" versions of two tracks from the 2013 album Delta Machine, were leaked in March 2023 as full versions on YouTube. Previously, only snippets were available (read below). These files are in AAC 192kbps 44.1kHz stereo, and are not sourced from YouTube. The audio has not undergone further re-encoding, and track order and tags remain unaltered, and moreover, this audio seems to lack equalization, unlike the commonly circulated MP3 192kbps version.
On September 20, 2021, 45-second excerpts of these demos and rough versions were briefly uploaded to SoundCloud before being taken down within hours. The link to the SoundCloud playlist was shared on the Home fan forum; you can see a screenshot below. These excerpts, along with a few longer samples, were mirrored until March 2023 when the complete set of files emerged.
Facebook member Jonas Öberg posted a photo about these demos on May 14, 2021, indicating that he has had the demos for at least 5 years since the time of the post, and showing the same 14 songs along with 'Goodbye', which did not have a snippet uploaded to SoundCloud. According to Winamp seen in the photograph, 'Slow' is 1411kbps 44.1khz, which is 16-bit 44.1kHz PCM audio, suggesting that he has lossless copies of the files.
On March 13, 2023, a Home post indicated that an MP3 192kbps stereo file set was circulating on the internet containing most tracks.
Screenshot of Home forum post linking to SoundCloud playlist of 45-second excerpts.
Screenshot of Home forum post indicating MP3 file set is publicly circulating.
Whilst some songs closely resemble the final versions, such as 'Always', 'Heaven', 'Slow', and 'Welcome To My World', along with the two "rough" versions, others are significantly different from their released counterparts. One of these, 'Schism', is an unreleased instrumental song which bears a resemblance to 'Oh Well'. The 'Slow' demo isn't the original from around 1993, but a re-recorded version. Some songs also have lyrical differences, which you can read about here.
Oddly, the 'Goodbye' demo only contains two seconds of audio despite its listed duration of 4:14. After the initial part of the song, the rest is silent. It's uncertain whether this was intentional or a technical glitch.
Many thanks to an anonymous contributor for providing these files.
Depmod.com also catalogs a "Delta Machine Instrumental Demos" studio CD-R, although no audio from it has surfaced as of 2023.
- You can find additional demos & outtakes here: Demos & Studio Outtakes
(*) indicates lead vocals by Martin Gore
- [4:46] Play Welcome To My World (*)
- [4:02] Play Heaven (*)
- [5:14] Play Secret
- [6:11] Play Secret (Rough 9oct12_02)
- [4:13] Play Universe (*)
- [4:27] Play Universe (Ruff 3Oct12)
- [3:42] Play Slow (*)
- [4:58] Play Broken
- [4:58] Play Higher
- [4:43] Play Soothe (*)
- [4:14] Play Goodbye
- [4:24] Play Lot (demo for All That's Mine)
- [4:37] Play Always (*)
- [5:35] Play Happens
- [4:20] Play Schism
- Total time: 1:10:24
- Download ZIP - AAC 192kbps 44.1kHz stereo - 81.2MB
- WAV 16-bit 44.1kHz -> AAC 192kbps 44.1kHz stereo
- SoundCloud playlist (no longer available) uploaded by SoundCloud user "DMfanTrade" (user profile no longer exists as of 9/22/21).
- Home thread titled "where can we talk about demos of delta machines?"; thread is no longer accessible as of September 21, 2021
- Facebook post in public group Depeche Mode Original by Jonas Öberg (post inaccessible as of 9/25/21)
- Home thread titled "Delta Machine Demos", post by user SensesOverflow, retrieved 13 March 2023 20:38 EDT
- Depmod: Delta Machine Instrumental Demos