1993-07-31 Crystal Palace Sports Ground, London, England, UK
Fourteen out of nineteen songs were broadcast on BBC Radio 1, originally on 1993-08-30. There were two different broadcasts of the concert, one of which included Walking In My Shoes which was not part of the other broadcast. Steve Lyon confirmed that he mixed the audio for the FM broadcast in Dublin, at the same time he mixed the audio for the "Devotional" video release.
According to BONG magazine issue #22, 36.131 people were at this show. You can watch a special video about this concert on the official site archives here. You can read some concert reports from the July 28 - August 4, 1993 issue of "Time Out" magazine here.
Dave said something like "We bought the full moon commissioned especially for you vampires tonight. Only joking, cost too much [laughs]" upon seeing the full moon; he also said "I'll need a little help with this one (Stripped). You should know the words by now", but then when nobody sang along he said "Oh, come on"; then during I Feel You he said "Now I can hear you! ... just takes a while sometimes, you know!"  Furthermore, Dave also said "At least its not fucking raining" after World In My Eyes as well as "Let's hear you make some fucking noise" at the beginning of Never Let Me Down Again. Dave also climbed on the front barrier during Enjoy The Silence. This was the third time that One Caress (with string quartet) was played on this tour.
Sunscreem, Dreadzone, Dub Syndicate, Marxmen and Sisters Of Mercy were the support acts. The Sisters Of Mercy famously said to the crowd "Enjoy the puppet show" at the end of their set, supposedly a dig at Depeche Mode. Find all info and material on the Sisters Of Mercy's performance on their fan Wiki.
Here is Daryl Bamonte's entry for the famous Devotional Tour Diary, published in Bong magazine in 1994:
Crystal Palace. Finally home after 3 months. 36,000+ people at this show, 1,000 with passes, and I know all of them, so backstage was chaos. My son had a good day. He definitely preferred DUB SYNDICATE to THE SISTERS OF MERCY. I used to think that ANDREW ELDRITCH was really cool. A god-like quasi-Darth Vader figure. He’s actually like RIGSBY.
- Higher Love
- Policy Of Truth
- World In My Eyes
- Walking In My Shoes
- Behind The Wheel
- Judas (*)
- One Caress (*)
- Mercy In You
- I Feel You
- Never Let Me Down Again
- In Your Room
- Personal Jesus
- Enjoy The Silence
- Fly On The Windscreen
- Everything Counts
- Source 1 is a very good sounding FM broadcast recording and is the most complete version available to date.
- Source 2 is Cyberbio's good audience recording, though it would benefit from a better transfer.
- Source 3 is Phong Ng's decent audience recording sourced from a first-generation tape; it plays a bit fast and is somewhat muffled.
- BBC Genome: Evening Session BBC Radio 1 England, 30 August 1993 17.30
- BBC Genome: Listings for 1993-08-30
- Twitter conversation between @DMLiveWiki and @SteveLyonMusic
- aapierre on the Home forum, Re: Crystal Palace 7/31/93 on YouTube
- depman on the official DMMB, Re: 22 years TODAY the Crystal Palace Gig London, who was there?