2017-03-17 Funkhaus Nalepastrasse, Berlin, Germany
|This concert page is missing a ticket stub. If you possess a ticket stub from this concert and wish to contribute a high quality scan or photograph, please feel free to add your ticket stub as an image file and embed it within this article, or contact us.
This concert was announced on Telekom Street Gigs on March 1st; press release.
On March 17th at 20:00 CET, the same day as the concert, live streams were hosted on both Twitter and YouTube. The YouTube livestreams encompassed two versions: a 360-degree YouTube stream along with a regular non-360 stream, both available in 1080p. However, the streams were not stable, and I was unable to capture them. Reportedly, the video and audio quality were poor on these streams. In contrast, the Twitter webstream offers very high bitrate video and well-encoded audio. Despite being in 720p, it appears to outshine the YouTube counterparts.
Subsequently, Telekom re-uploaded a non-360 degree stream in 1080p resolution and introduced a 4K resolution 360-degree stream on YouTube. These revised streams remained accessible until June 30th, 2017:
Some noteworthy points from this concert, not necessarily an exhaustive list:
- This was the live debut of Going Backwards and So Much Love.
- Towards the end of So Much Love, Dave sang the lyric "No Tears For The Creatures Of The Night" from the eponymous Tuxedomoon song.
- This was the second time Corrupt was played live; it was played previously at a rehearsal performance at 2017-03-06 Avatar Studios, New York, NY, USA.
- World In My Eyes has a new intro.
- A Pain That I'm Used To is the "Jacques Lu Cont" remix version, similar to what was performed during the 2013 - 2014 "Delta Machine" Tour.
- The first and only performance of the Little Soul on the 2017-2018 Global Spirit Tour, being replaced by "Home" at the subsequent Glasgow pre-tour performance. On this song, Peter Gordeno showcased his skills on the Roland RD-2000 keyboard, which he briefly demonstrated at the end of a promotional Roland video on Facebook. Martin Gore also has a young daughter, which may have contributed to this song's choice for performance; "Eternal" was confirmed to have been written about her.
- Walking In My Shoes has a new intro incorporating some elements of the "Random Carpet" remix, and possibly others.
- Personal Jesus does not have a very lengthy and slow intro; instead, it begins quickly with a short intro and "Reach out, touch faith".
Daniel Miller and members of Rammstein were in attendance.
Dave Gahan told Ilka Peemöller for DPA afterwards (translated):
"I suddenly became very scared beforehand, that was in my dressing room about 30 minutes before the show. I just thought: 'Oh, God, I know this feeling, I do not like it!' [...] I needed two or three songs until I started feeling comfortable. I had to get in the moment somehow. I had fun with our opener 'Going Backwards', but just at the beginning I was still nervous. Once I opened, it will flow, then everything is possible, then it becomes fantastic, then I am... yes, how am I then? Like an overpaid stripper. [Laughs]"
Martin Gore told Keys Magazine afterwards (translated):
"The gig was a different experience compared to a stadium concert, especially since we haven't been on stage for three years. It felt a little more frightening for me, just because everyone is so much closer. These [special showcase] gigs are broadcast live now. This is a part of modern promotion work, but that was not done in the old days."
They also told Spiegel:
Dave Gahan: "It was all lit up for TV as well as to be streamed, so there was way more light on stage than what there normally is. So I was sort of looking for some shadow and there was none, I realised after a while. There was nowhere to hide."
Martin Gore: "It always takes a while for fans to catch up, they need to hear the new songs to know them. And also, I felt that the audience [at the Funkhaus gig] wasn't as representative an audience as we usually get, because when you looked out, there weren't very many young people. And that's one of the things that always amazes me when we play live: you look down the front, and there are teenagers."
- Intro (Cover Me (Alt Out))
- Going Backwards
- So Much Love
- A Pain That I'm Used To
- World In My Eyes
- Cover Me
- Little Soul (*)
- Where's The Revolution
- Barrel Of A Gun
- Walking In My Shoes
- Personal Jesus
Set list info obtained from the Home forum.
- Source 1 is the 720p Twitter livestream video capture.
- Source 2 is the soundboard audio demuxed from the video.